You could be eligible for free home energy efficiency improvements if:
- You own or privately rent your home (not from a local authority or housing association)
- Your home is energy inefficient and expensive to heat
- You or someone you live with receives a means tested benefit OR has a chronic respiratory, circulatory or mental health condition and an income below the defined thresholds
The means tested benefits that qualify are:
- Child Tax Credit (income below £16,105 a year)
- Council Tax Reduction (exemption and discount do not qualify on their own)
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit (income below £16,105 a year)
Health Eligibility Criteria
Alongside the current criteria for people in receipt of a means tested benefit, the new health criteria for free energy efficiency home improvements are:
Someone in the home must:
- Be living with a chronic respiratory, circulatory or mental health condition. These include:
- Respiratory disease (respiratory infections, broncho-constriction in asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Circulatory disease (including cardio-vascular disease, strokes and heart attacks)
- Mental health issues (including depression, anxiety, psychosis and bipolar disorders, dementia, intellectual and development disorders).
- Be living on a low income below the defined thresholds
Evidence of a health condition
You will be asked to confirm that you have evidence of your health condition such as a prescription, medication package, treatment plan or GP/Hospital appointment or referral letter. This evidence does not need to be provided in advance. If you are found to be eligible, the evidence will be checked by our assessors when they visit your home.
Health Eligibility Income Thresholds
The income thresholds for the majority of customers are outlined below. These are based on total household income after housing costs.
|Household composition||Annual household income (after housing costs)||Monthly household income (after housing costs)|
|1 or more adults aged 18 or over||£16,105||£1,342|
|1 or 2 adults and one or two dependants||£21,352||£1,779|
|1 or 2 adults and three dependants||£23,100||£1,930|
|1 or 2 adults and four or more dependants||£25,700||£2,140|
Some people, who spend an above average time at home, are at a greater risk during the colder months.
- Older people (aged 75 and over)
- Families with young children (aged five or younger)
- People with disabilities (defined as a person having a mental or physical impairment, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities)
For these householders who live with an eligible health condition, there is an increase of the income threshold to £21,352 after housing costs with savings of not more than £16,000 for older people aged 75 or over.
In addition to the health condition evidence outlined above, you can demonstrate your eligibility for the additional income threshold through the provision of a discretionary / disabled bus pass, blue badge or be registered with the local authority under section 18 of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014. This evidence will be checked by our assessors when they visit your home.
If you are eligible, we will recommend a package of energy efficiency improvements at no cost to you. They will make your home warmer and save you money on your energy bills.
Our expert advisors will ask you some questions about your property and the benefits you receive, so please make sure you have your benefit award letter and, if applicable, your landlord details to hand when you make the call.
“The installation process took 4 to 5 weeks from start to finish and was very easy. I would recommend Nest as we were struggling to buy a central heating on our pension. Nest gave us a lifeline and now we have a warm home.” Resident of Towyn, Conwy
How can Nest help?
We offer a range of free, impartial advice and, if you are eligible, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation.